Impress your loved ones with this delicious blue spirulina glazed gingerbread cake this Christmas! It's gluten free, dairy free and tastes delicious.
- 200g spelt flour or gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 120g grated almonds
- 20g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp gingerbread spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 190g maple syrup
- 200ml sparkling water or orange juice
- 200g plant milk and 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 90g cacao nibs or dark chocolate
Blue Spirulina Topping:
- 60 ml water
- 1 tbsp agar agar powder
- 80 ml plant milk (preferably oat milk)
- 2 tbsp Maizena starch
- 60 g powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Blue Spirulina powder
- 120 g dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius and butter the cake pan.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- Gently stir in the wet ingredients until a smooth batter forms. (Don't over stir or the batter will firm up).
- Finally, fold in the chopped chocolate and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- The baking time is about 45 minutes.
- Allow the spice cake too cool and top with the prepared topping before serving.
- For the blue spirulina icing, mix the water with the agar agar.
- Heat the plant milk with the rest of the ingredients in a small saucepan, then stir in the agar agar mixture.
- Simmer for 2 minutes and pour into the snowflake mould.
- Before placing the layer on top of the cake, allow to cool and set in the refrigerator.
Recipe by @danistrailcooking