What is Blue Spirulina?
Blue Spirulina is a blue-green-algae which grows in ponds, lakes and alkaline waterways. Phycocyanin is a blue pigment derived from spirulina which gives the algae its dark blue pigment when it has been extracted. The great news about Blue Spirulina is that it does not have a fishy taste unlike green spirulina. It is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, carotenoids and antioxidants.
Spirulina has been widely recognised for its superior health benefits including:
1. Removing heavy metals and toxins - Spirulina can bind with heavy metals in the body and help remove them.
2. Source of Protein - As many people nowadays are choosing a vegan or vegetarian diet, this algae can be a great addition to your daily diet routine to boost protein intake.
3. May Aid in Weight Loss - Spirulina contains about 50-70% protein. When taken 30 minutes prior to a meal it can help you feel significantly less hungry therefore, you will feel fuller for longer and less likely to over indulge. Protein is highly soluble in water which means that it can be highly absorbed by your body unlike other protein-rich food sources such as meat.
4. Boosts Energy and Performance - Spirulina is known for its abundance of b vitamins which can boost energy levels. This allows you to improve training and workout results which will enable you to burn more fat. Spirulina's antioxidant content makes it beneficial in decreasing exercise induced oxidation which leads to muscle fatigue and inability to gain muscle.
5. Can help improve digestion and bowel health - As spirulina contains chlorophyll, this helps to regularise the digestive system and promote healthy bacteria in the gut.
Add 1 tsp of Blue Spirulina to your smoothies, raw treats, baked goods, noodles, pasta and more!
Created by: @pegothevego