A dairy-free take on the traditional cinnamon scroll. This recipe is perfect to create for loved ones this Christmas! The pretty pink glaze was created with Unicorn Superfoods Pink Pitaya Powder. Add this super fruit into your daily recipes for a nutritional-kick.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 4 cups (500g) of all purpose flour
- 250ml plant milk
- 30g sugar
- 75g melted vegan butter
- 25g fresh yeast
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (100g) icing sugar
- 1 tbsp plant milk
- 1/2-1 tsp Unicorn Superfoods Pink Pitaya Powder
To make the dough - In a large sauce pan (or in a bowl in the microwave at 30-second increments), heat the plant milk and vegan butter until warm and melted. Remove from heat and let cool to 110 degrees F (43 C) or the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes. Then add 1 tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go (you may not add it all). The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball (be careful not to over mix). Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with avocado or olive oil, and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
To make the filling - on a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle (the thickness of the dough should be about 1/4-inch). Brush with melted vegan butter and top with sugar and desired amount of cinnamon.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8×8-inch square pan.
- Place rolls on the square pan and let it sit for 10 minutes while you preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 20-25 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Whilst the scrolls are in the oven create the glaze by whisking sugar and pink pitaya powder with plant milk. Once the consistency is smooth pour the glaze on the cinnamon scrolls. *Allow the scrolls to cool down for a few minutes before pouring the glaze on top.
Created by: @danistrailcooking